Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Fashion Police: Met Gala 2011

The Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute Gala is arguably the most fashionable event of the year and definitely the most exciting red carpet spectacle. This year's event celebrates Alexander McQueen and the opening of the Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty exhibition. Last night's red carpet fashion did not disappoint. Here are some of my favorites in no particular order:


Zoe Saldana looked absolutely gorgeous in yellow Calvin Klein that worked so well with her skin tone. Sarah Jessica Parker looked chic and downright sexy (which I don't think I have ever said about her before) in her Alexander McQueen dress. The detailing on the dress is ah-mazing (see below). Naomi Watts glowed in Stella McCartney - she really can do no wrong in my book. 


Zoe's makeup was spot on and that awesome necklace added a rocker edge to her sunny strapless gown and really made her look for me. 


love how SJP layered on the rings.


enough said.




Giselle looked unbelievable per usual - is she even human? - in Alexander McQueen

 

Diane Kruger looked absolutely stunning in Jason Wu - those legs! Kerry Washington wore a mint Tory Burch dress with cutouts and a crucial pop of fuchsia on her lips. A pregnant Jessica Alba was glowing in her golden Ralph Lauren strapless dress. 

   

 Jessica Stam looking like what I imagine to be a modern day Cinderella in Tommy Hilfiger. Love the turquoise touches, but kind of wish her hair was up or her waves were looser a la Nicole Richie (right) who is wearing a vintage 1930s dress and bright red lips. I think this might be a personal best for Richie. And last but certainly not least, Liv Tyler in Givenchy. The more I look at this the more I think this might actually be my favorite of them all. Stunning. Ok those are my favs. Here are some other looks worth mentioning:

 

Sparkling nudes were an obvious trend (see Sarah Jessica Parker and Naomi Watts for who did it best in my opinion). From left: Ashley Green who needs a lesson in posture, Blake Lively who needs a lesson in humility and Gwyneth Paltrow who needs a cheeseburger. Bold, bright saturated colors were another popular trend: 

  

Above from left: Eva Mendes, Brooklyn Decker and Ginnifer Goodwin. Eva and Ginnifer need a lesson from Brooklyn Decker in charm and appeal. Come on, people, just smile!
 As always, there was a fair share of over the top frocks (this is the Costume Institute Gala after all):

 

Christina Ricci channeling her inner Wednesday and Daphne Guinness paying tribute to McQueen. 

 

J.Lo looking like Big Bird and Elmo spawned a dress, Ashley O dressed as a pirate at a black tie affair and Rihanna as Ariel a.k.a. the Little Mermaid. Finally, here are my worst dressed nominees:

   

Emma Stone tried to go floral in Lanvin but it ended up all wrong. The colors just did not work on her and I think I recognize that hair style from an episode of Intervention. Note to Emma: You are not Michelle Williams. Please stop trying to work the weird grandma chic look. Do what you do best and stick with whatever stylist dressed you for the Golden Globes. Thanks. Ok Kristen Stewart I am proud of you for your half smile, but your fists are pretty much clenched, which immediately gives away the fact that you don't want to be there. Maybe it's because you're dressed like Jafar's girlfriend (if he had one), in which case I forgive you. But really you need a new stylist. As for Beyonce, I'm not even surprised she wore this so I can skip the disappointment and lectures and simply state: it's ugly.

And there you have it. Visit here to see all the photos. 


No comments: